It’s been a minute since you heard from me, but I had to put on my blogging hat once again because it was important I shared this with you. I’ve never been a fan of the long hours spent at the nail salon to get nails that I love and am happy with. In October 2022, I made the decision to ditch nail extensions and acrylics for good. Fast forward to August 2023, my nails are now the same length as the extensions I used to get, and the best part is that I no longer need to spend over 4 hours at the nail salon. In this blog post, I’ll share how to grow healthy long nails.
Are you dreaming of long, beautiful nails that you can flaunt with confidence? Achieving that goal requires more than just wishing – it’s about adopting healthy nail care practices, maintaining a balanced diet, and prioritizing your overall well-being. This comprehensive guide will delve into the best tips to help you grow long, healthy nails that you’ll be proud to show off.
Everyday Care Tips for Healthy Long Nails
1. Nourish from Within A Balanced Diet for Nail Health
The foundation of healthy nails starts with what you put into your body. Fuel your growth journey by consuming a diverse range of nutrient-rich foods. Your diet should include fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats. But don’t stop there – certain nutrients play a crucial role in growing healthy long nails:
- Biotin: biotin is a vitamin that helps strengthen nails and prevent brittleness. On my journey, I didn’t take. any supplements but focused on eating healthy meals with the necessary nutrients.
- Vitamin E: This antioxidant-rich vitamin promotes circulation to the nail bed, aiding in healthy nail growth.
- Vitamin C: Known for its collagen-boosting effects, vitamin C supports the formation of strong and flexible nails.
- Zinc and Iron: These minerals contribute to overall nail strength and help prevent nail breakage.
2. Hydration: Water for Nourished Nails
Staying hydrated is essential for your nails and skin. Drinking adequate water helps prevent nails from becoming brittle and prone to breakage. Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day to maintain optimal hydration levels.
3. Shield Your Nails: Protection is Key
Guard your nails against potential damage by wearing gloves during activities that expose your hands to harsh chemicals, water, or friction. Whether cleaning, gardening, or washing dishes, gloves provide an extra layer of defence and help prevent any breakage, helping you grow healthy long nails.
4. Trim, File, and Shape: The Art of Maintenance
Regular maintenance is essential for preventing nails from becoming overly long and prone to breakage. Trim your nails regularly using a gentle nail clipper or file to shape them according to your preference. Also, avoid soaking your nails in water for 24 hours post a nail enhancement procedure.
5. Nail Care Practices: Small Habits, Big Impact
Practising proper nail care goes a long way in maintaining healthy nails:
- Cuticle Care: Gently push back cuticles using a cuticle pusher, avoiding over-cutting them as they provide natural protection against infection.
- Cleanliness: Keep your nails clean and dry to prevent fungal infections.
- Moisturization: Apply a moisturizing cream or oil to your nails and cuticles to keep them hydrated and prevent cracking.
6. Breaking Bad Habits: Biting and Picking
Bid farewell to the habit of biting or picking at your nails. These actions weaken nails and can lead to infections. Instead, channel that energy into nurturing your nail health.
7. Ditch Nail Extensions and Acrylics
While acrylics and gel nails can provide an instant manicure fix, frequent use weakens natural nails. If you do indulge, give your nails sufficient breaks between applications to recover. However, I’ve switched this out for dip powders or SNS nails in the last year. I discovered this through a friend’s recommendation, and I’ve grown my nails and have them super healthy with this nail enhancement method. Also, with dips, salons usually have limited colours, so take note of that. I get my dips done at The Nail Boutique Ikoyi, and the service is amazing!
8. More Nail care Tips
- Be careful of heat or fire. It can soften your nail extensions and damage nail art.
- Do not attempt to glue down lifting nail extensions on your own. This may cause a fungal infection due to the trapped moisture.
- Be careful of Moisturizers, Sun lotions or Tanning products that contain Lanolin, as this can cause nails to lift or weaken.
- Always have nail enhancements professionally removed. Do not pull or bite them off, as this causes damage to your nail bed.
- Try to keep regular appointments (The recommended time is every 3-4 weeks).
In conclusion, achieving healthy long nails requires a holistic approach. By nourishing your body with the right nutrients, practising good nail care habits, and prioritizing your well-being, you can make your dream of flaunting beautiful nails a reality.
Remember, consistency is key, and with time, dedication, and these expert tips, you’ll be well on your way to nails that radiate health and beauty. If you’d love to hear more from me, you can sign up to receive love notes bi-weekly.